Industry-leading personalization and content library drive user preference for Wynk Music
Bharti Airtel recently said that, based on Oct 2019 data from App Annie, Wynk Music is now the #1 music streaming app in India in terms of Daily Active Users. The performance metric underlines the massive user preference for Wynk Music when it comes to consuming music on smartphones.
Regional music a key growth driver and now accounts for 26% of the over 3 billion monthly streams. Bhojpuri, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Gujarati and Odiya songs see the growth of over 150%. Wynk Music, the OTT music streaming app from Airtel, continues to see a surge in its popularity amongst smartphone users in India.
Adarsh Nair, Chief Product Officer, Bharti Airtel says,
The team is focused on building the most personalised music experience for our customers. Wynk’s deep catalogue of songs combined with a holistic understanding of our customer’s preferences allows us to build an incredible product. And Airtel users get a free subscription to millions of songs in Wynk through the Thanks program.
Regional content is clearly the new HERO as more users come online and look for content that is relevant to them. We aim to invest disproportionately for further expanding our regional content library and work with local artists to bring them to the online world of music.
Regional music emerging as the next powerhouse
While Bollywood and International music continue to be the biggest categories on Wynk Music, it is Indian regional music that is witnessing the fastest growth. Overall, there has been a 75% surge in the number of users streaming regional music.
With increasing smartphone adoption in Tier 2 and 3 towns and rural areas, the demand for regional language songs and local artists is seeing a massive surge. More and more users in these markets are getting online for entertainment and discovering music on apps vs pirated music loaded on their devices.
Wynk offers music in 14 Indian languages and regional songs now account for 26% of the overall 3 billion-plus monthly streams on the app. Songs in Oriya, Gujarati, Assamese, Marathi, Telugu, and Bhojpuri have seen 150% + growth and are also popular outside the home states as well. Interestingly, Bhojpuri music is also seeing strong uptake amongst urban youth in metros like Delhi.
The Wynk Music journey:
- Sept 2014: Launched in India; crosses 1 lakh downloads in 4 days
- Feb 2015: Crosses 5 million app downloads
- June 2015: Launches Data Save Mode
- Nov 2015: Crosses 12 million installs
- Jan 2016: Introduces MP3 Player Function- Plays Local MP3 files
- Mar 2017: Crosses 50 million installs
- Jan 2018: Crosses 75 million installs
- Dec 2018: Voted India’s most entertaining app on Playstore
- Jan 2019: Crosses 100 million installs
Favorite songs as Hello Tunes for FREE through Wynk Music app
As part of the growing range of exciting benefits under its refreshed #AirtelThanks program, Airtel has recently said its Postpaid and Prepaid mobile customers can now set their favorite songs as their Hello Tunes (ringback tones) for FREE through Wynk Music app. All 40 million songs from Wynk Music’s library will now be available to eligible Airtel mobile customers as ‘Hello Tunes’ without the monthly subscription charge of Rs 36. This exclusive benefit will be available to all mobile customers on prepaid bundles or postpaid plans of Rs 129 and above.
To get their FREE Hello Tunes customers simply need to download the latest version of the Wynk Music app (available for both iOS and Android) and click on the Hello Tunes icon to set their favorite songs as their ring back tone. Customers can set and change their ‘Hello Tunes’ as many times as they want. One only needs to renew the FREE ‘Hello Tunes’ subscription through Wynk Music every 30 days. Wynk Music’s extensive library offers popular music in 12 genres and 15 languages, including English, Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Gujarati, Haryanvi, Bhojpuri, Bengali, Oriya, Assamese and Rajasthani.
How eligible customers can set their favorite songs as FREE Hello Tunes using Wynk Music
- Download the latest version of Wynk Music or update your existing app to the latest version (Reference – Google, Apple)
- Launch the app and click on the ‘Hello Tunes’ icon on the top right-hand corner of the app
- Search for your favorite song and select as your Hello Tune
- Alternately users can play their favorite song and click on the Hello Tunes icon in the music player to set the song as their Hello Tune
- Confirm your Hello Tune on Wynk Music app every 30 days to continue enjoying the free subscription